Author: Nicole Crockwell
Some of the best memories are created in the kitchen! Who didn’t beg to mix whatever was in the bowl, especially if it was the batter from cookies or cake? And of course, it was the added treat of licking the bowl…great memories!
A treat that is loved in just about every Bermudian home is the sugar cookie. Whether adding them to your child’s lunchbox or taking them to the beach (in a glass jar if you’re old school!), they are the snack that never gets old.
Here is a quick go to recipe that can be altered to suit your taste. Not a fan of nuts? Remove the almond flavouring. If you love your cookies with a little tang, add a touch of lemon essence. But most of all, enjoy! BPM
1lb of butter
2 c of icing sugar
4 c flour
1 egg beaten
3 tsp vanilla
½ tsp almond
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°
2. Cream together the sugar and butter
3. Add the egg and mix well
4. Add the vanilla and almond and mix well
5. Add flour and mix until the mixture thickens and becomes stiff (if soft place in the fridge for 20 min.)
6. On a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet add a tablespoon of cookie mix
7. Using a fork press the cookies flat
8. Add sprinkles (optional)
9. Place the cookie sheet in the middle or top rack for about 12 mins or until the cookies have browned to your liking.
10. Take the cookies out and allow them to cool before placing them in an airtight jar for maximum freshness.
Nicole Crockwell is the Owner of Cloudz Home Bakery. BPM